Sunday, August 19

Random facts about me

I lived in the jungle for nearly 10 years across 7 rivers.

I got stranded on a motu (small island) in Tahiti once for 12 hours with my best friend Alex.

I have been in two car accidents, one almost dropped me 2000 ft to my death but the truck stopped upside down with inches to spare. The other was last year and I broke my nose from my cable box ricocheting off the windshield. Good times.

I live alone and unless I am in love, I prefer it that way.

I love swanky Brazilian music.

I can't stand it when people put stuffed animals in their back windshields.

My whole family lives in St.Louis, mostly Italians. My Mom has 50 first cousins.

My father used to make used car commercials in the 80's and even used the phrase "if I don't give you 0 percent financing, I'll be a monkey's uncle." I'm not kidding.

I used to live with 10 heavy metal guys in a Victorian house in SF. I was shot at twice there. The Projects were across the street. I babysat a boa constrictor one summer and took it to the liquor store below the apartment building and scared the boys in the hood so bad they never messed with me again.

I have a half brother that is a foot and a half taller than me.

My Mother lives in an Air Stream off the coast of Mexico and is writing a book.

I like salty food way more than sweet food.

I was a Black Jack dealer for a while when I was 22.

I went to an alternative arts high school in Portland Or. There were 30 people in my graduating class and I know almost all of them to this day.

My father's mother ran away when he was 10 years old and he found her 8 years ago living in Louisiana. She had 4 kids with my Grandpa and another 4 with her new husband who knew nothing of her previous existence or other children.

I had a pet duck named "Clover" in Hawaii for 7 years. He was best friends with our Jack Russell terrier. They did everything together.

I lived in a machine shop for a summer in the mission district in SF. They called me “mamashop”.

Please don't put raisins in food. Just don't do it.


The shop

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I feel suitably humbled. You're so "been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt, wrote the book" and I'm so, "huh, where?"

Rebecca Skloot said...

Arts high school ... is that what it was? I thought it was last-stop-before-JDH high school. But it certainly did make artists out of us. ;-)

stefany said...

Hey! Don't tell all my secrets!
XO

Anonymous said...

whoa, mija, how'd you do that cool slide spinning thingy over there on the left (my left. oh, i guess that's your left, too). that is awesome.

and you have the case of 'mysterious disappearing posts'. wtf?

i think that line about me falling in love with a dog makes you tear up because i've turned into such a pussy and you wish i had always been a softie. or it gives you hope like "hey, if mamacita can LIKE a dog, then anything is possible."