Friday, June 8

castles and sand 2

Part 2
OK, this is the second shot at writing this entry as I lost the first one. Note to self: Always write entries in Word and then bring it over to blogger. Plus my grammar will be better with their “no idiot, that isn’t how a sentence is structured” tool. Spellchecker just isn’t enough blogger.


I had every intention of leaving at 1 pm on Friday for my road trip up the I-5 to the Bay Area. I had enough morning time to buy a dress for the wedding in Calistoga, get my hair done, and pack. Then I get a call from my friends who rented a fabulous condo on the beach in Malibu for the summer. “Stef come over! We miss you!” I had just finished a million deep tissue massages and though it was 9:30 I was too amped from physical momentum to go home. BIG, BIG, MISTAKE. Loser here drank 7 or so glasses of French champagne and slept there. I woke up evil incarnate. I was so hung over I thought I would surely die. I was useless. Sub-useless. I left at 8pm (post LA traffic, that was the earliest possible, welcome to California- you can never leave. At least when you want to.)
I arrived in Oakland at 1am, crawled into bed with Bridget as I have a hundred times before, though this time a little Julian slept in between us. I woke up in the morning to him staring at me like “who the hell are you and why are you in our bed?” Then I quickly became his best friend. Kids, they can’t get enough of me I swear. Bridget saved my ass with her stylist ways and had me looking like a movie star by noon. Thanks Sister, you always come through. I rushed to Calistoga in time to get on the shuttle that took us to the castle where the wedding/reception was held. This was the third event to be held there since its completion. It took 17 years to build it. Magnificent place.
This was an event like no other. The amount of money represented there was beyond words. If the hairdresser for the family, and the landscape architect guy weren’t there I may have felt out of place. Ha, ha. Luckily I knew about 60 guests there because nearly every client from both northern and southern California, were there. They are all connected, and I don’t mean cosmically. Someone came up to me and said, “I can’t believe how many people here you have seen naked”.









I didn’t drink(for a couple of reasons), only stayed until 10pm and then drove for 2 hours to Stinson beach. I had about 10 feet of visibility on curvy, foggy, highway 1. It was so eerie, dangerous, and cool. Huge yellow moon, I love those times. I had missed a whole day at Stinson; I wasn’t going to wait any longer to get there.
I would like to say that it was just as fabulous as ever. Sarah, Charlotte and I had sooooooo much fun. I adore those women beyond measure. I respect them enormously.
Did you hear what I said? “Sarah, Charlotte and I”. Yes, it is true. ALL OF OUR FRIENDS HAVE CHILDREN. WE ARE THE ONLY ONES LEFT. We used to be joined by at least 50 people. It was a huge reality check for me. I do not want kids. I don’t. (Recently, 2 couples, who I consider devoted parents in their 60’s have both looked me straight in the eyes and said “ I love my kids but if I could do it over again, I wouldn’t have them”.) I LIKE that I can journey around California like a rolling stone.
This is Charlotte with her dog sugar wearing a pink camo hoodie "so no one can find her in the pink forest".
So, the times they have’a changed and it is what it is. The beach was great. I really needed that peace to help me heal my broken heart right now. I left home at a good time. I couldn’t be sad a minute longer. If I get told one more time that I am an amazing woman by a man that doesn’t want a relationship I’m going to chop my head off. I am clearly not amazing enough. AND I have serious commitment issues myself and attract men worse than me so I can blame them for not complying. What a tiresome ordeal this has been. Mom and Dad, BTW, this is your fault. I deserve an apology for fucking me up. Just kidding. You two are cool, just not poster children for a successful relationship, that’s all.
The next leg of my adventure consisted of visiting all my dear goddess friends who were absent at Stinson due to their having gotten wet and multiplied. Just like Gremlins. (Ha ha, that’s gross Stef) Meaning, they had kids. Here is my child tour photo show. I love my beautiful friends. You are all the good, best stuff of my life, the air I breathe.
Look at my God daughter Devin, in the pink. Edible. Actually, Alex deemed Sarah and I both "God Mothers". Really. We were both at the baptism. It's actually an official thing. Sarah always says "fairy God Mother's" on accident. I told Sarah " this is the closest were gonna get to having lesbian life partners".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez, how many times have i told you to stop picking men like yo' mama picks men? you're smarter than me. you should know better. now stop blaming me (but you can keep blaming your dad LOL.)

you are amazing. too bad about the 'steaky' nickname, though.

Charlotte said...

But Sugar IS my child, don't you see? I even brought her to Grenada with me. No need for the pink camo hoodie here! Just a bikini and a raincoat. Besides, all the jungles are green! And it's ILLEGAL to wear green camo here. I'm not even kidding. They make you take it off.